Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fabrication 3/23

-Post moved from discussion board-

In today's class we talked about our reading. The topic that I found most interesting was when we started discussing the creation of personal digital fabrication machines. From the marketing perspective some were arguing that it was necessary for there to be a demand for the product before anyone would be willing to purchase something of the sort. My argument was that with radical technology such as 3d printing most people lack the ability to picture what they can do with it until they actually have the product. My personal example was that I was interested in photography but not to the point where I thought I would study it. I purchased a nice DSLR camera as soon as I took my first shots I immediatly saw the possibilties of the camera. I purchased books on photography and am starting to gain some ability. Without having the product in my hands, I would never have known what could be done. If there was a way to get 3d printers to people, they would find needs for it and a new era of personal fabrication would start.

No comments:

Post a Comment